Friday, October 3, 2014

Foreigners in China Have to a New Bank Account after Changed to a New Passport?

New Passport, New Bank Account?
This is a true story about a Finnish girl who gets some troubles in the China bank.
When I applied for a new passport in Finland this January as the old one is going to be expired this year, I had no idea that getting a new passport could also affect my Guangzhou bank account. In Finland the passport number changes every time you get a new passport. And in China your passport number becomes your identity number that is needed in many official documents and papers.
So yesterday I went to the ICBC, a bank where I’ve been a customer for four years now. Visiting the bank is never a quick trip and this time I had to wait hour and a half before it was my turn. When I handed in my papers and documents for changing euros to renminbi, I also mentioned that I have a new passport now. He started going over their computer system and seemed a bit puzzled. He called over his supervisor as well and they asked me if I happened to have my old passport with me as well. Luckily I did.
They had no idea how they could be certain that I had changed my passport legally, which is a bit strange to me as changing a passport is something everyone has to do. They demanded me to get a document from my embassy to prove that I had gotten a new passport.
In the end they changed my euros to renminbi by using my old expired passport! Next time they told me to get the document from my embassy. I can still access my online bank and withdraw money, but if someone sends me euros, there’s no way I can get them changed to renminbi!
Have you ever experienced this dilemma before? Touch Law Firm is dedicated to providing the tax and accounting services. If you do have any problems with your bank account, please contact our online secretary Ms. Touch (ID: TouchLawFirm), or call at +8620-8355 5515. 

Read More:

No comments:

Post a Comment